09 October, 2007

Imagine Peace

... it's really hard to do.
Especially in the throes of grief and hormones.
However, in recognition and support of John Lennon's 67th birthday, I am doing my best.

October 9th is John Lennon's birthday. It is also the launch of the Imagine Peace Tower in Reykyjavik, Iceland. This is where Yoko Ono has built this tower of power (peace is power in my book) to honor the man she met and fell in love with in 1967. You can view the tower on YouTube or go directly to ImaginePeace.com

In just the last month the site has received an amazing 2,700 wishes via the internet to add to the 495,000 already collected. These wishes are guaranteed to be buried in the capsules around the IMAGINE PEACE TOWER. You may send your wishes to: imaginepeacetower@mac.com

The grief monster got me on Sunday night at my clogging class. I have been trained well enough to know that more often than not, the shards of grief strike at unexpected or benign times. I had a ritual of calling my mother after class so that we would share a wrap-up of the week. Once that recollection hit, it was all I could do to stay at class. My feet were a stumble-bumble and my being was overcome with a sense of loss. It did not help that my dear friend and former congregant, Sally Mirandi died last week. Sally and I had become closer in the past year after I left the church and her illness prevailed. It turns out she was the same age as my mother. I never thought about Sally's age because she was such an amazing woman--so inquisitive, so studious, so vital. I so enjoyed her humour, her wit and her intelligence. This lady was book smart and I loved learning from her. And yes, the rumour is true--I turned her onto Mocha Lattes at Starbucks. Her eyes would light up when I would walk into her room carrying in her favorite treat. I will deeply miss Sally. It will take some getting used to when two wise--albeit very different-- women in my life leave such a void.
Yeah, so maybe that warrants a meltdown.

It was a blessing that I had no external requirements or appointments for today. Thanks in part to Don's compatience, I allowed myself to careen around the house as if I were in a pinball machine with the volume of monkey-mind chatter at an all-time high in my head. Then I did the human version of a defrag or reboot and I took a thudder of a nap for almost two hours. When I woke up the world around me appeared to be in order again. Whew. I could start over and I did. I got right into physical chores and then took a walk in the sweet spot of time called twilight.

My walks are always so healing to me. Connecting with nature, fresh air, the sights and sounds of my neighborhood, the critters out for their stroll and then the mystical state of dusk when the lights begin to sparkle their way into being; and people are just shifting into a new consciousness of the evening before them.
It was rejuvenating even if it was shorter than I planned because it got dark so much earlier.


"A dream you dream alone is only a dream
A dream you dream together is reality."

Yoko Ono

"Imagine all the people living life in peace.
"
John Lennon

And so it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to know you are hurting, especially at a time that should be joy-full. Sending love your way.

Wait a minim.....

Tonight, we rented the new film, "The Fabelmans" and loved it.  Incredible performances, screenwriting and story-telling.  I espec...